- About us
- Who are we?
- A healthy place to be
- Class timetable
- Studio hire
- What do you need?
- What we offer
- Find us
Local, natural, ethical
Hands-on Health is all about teamwork. From day one, we have looked for local people, local suppliers and local companies to help us, and we are delighted that our clinic emerged from a derelict building with the help of some of the best people this great community has to offer:
- Alan Hillman and his amazing team of Exmouth builders – Adam, James, Barry and Tom, the fastest and friendliest workers we have ever seen.
- Jim King at Excel Plumbing in Exmouth – who helped to rescue us from gas-supply anguish and sorted out our lovely underfloor heating.
- Rich Cowing of Exmouth’s RAC Electrical, who has the patience of a saint and knows exactly what we need.
- Juan Alvarez, Exmouth painter and decorator, who did a massive amount of rockin’ and rollin’ on all those walls.
- Paul Dowling, an artist and a truly creative flooring expert, who fitted the beautiful, sustainable bamboo and marmoleum floors, and whose good advice has been invaluable.
- The wonderful designer Michael Greenland, of Greenland Studio in – you guessed it – Exmouth, has been our right-hand man, and so much more than the best brand designer in Devon.
- Lesley Watson, who designed and built her own eco-home in Seaton, and who has encouraged and advised us from day one; we’re very glad she’ll be running some of her inspiring workshops from our studio.
- Our neighbours Ollie and Demi Bainbridge, and their staff, at The Grapevine, Victoria Road, who have allowed us to use their fantastic pub as an office, and kept us supplied with coffee and sympathy, while the building emerged, and since.
It’s the teamwork that makes Hands-on Health so special – come and meet our therapists and teachers.
We want you to feel warm, calm and at ease in our clinic building. So, we started off with lots of insulation in the walls, floors and ceilings, and double glazed windows throughout. We then added fuel-efficient and super-comfortable underfloor heating to all the treatment rooms and the studio, topped off with a sustainably-produced bamboo floor from Simply Bamboo.
You won’t smell any paint fumes, because we’ve used environmentally-friendly, allergy-free paints and varnishes that are free of acrylics, vinyl resins and harmful petrochemical solvents. What’s more, they come from local firm Nutshell Paints, in Exeter – with a bit of extra VOC-free tinting from Finishing Touches in Totnes. Many thanks are due to Diane at Nutshell and Dave at Finishing Touches, who couldn’t do enough to help us.
The furniture and furnishings
Keeping our carbon footprint as small as we can, we were delighted to find Actively Green, a company in Awliscombe that rescues and recycles fantastic office furniture that would otherwise end up in landfill. We’re sure you will agree that our lovely reception furniture and studio chairs are perfect for their new home.
Even our telephone system is recycled, thanks to The Telecom Recycling Shop!
We run an energy-efficient combi boiler, and we’re powered by Good Energy, the UK’s 100% renewable electricity supplier. All of their electricity is generated using natural power from the wind, water and sun or through sustainable biogeneration. Switching is simple and takes just five minutes; but it makes a big difference.
All our light fittings use low-energy bulbs, and our cleaning products, hand wash and paper products are all healthy, toxin-free and allergy-free.
And there’s more
Our Okarma organic cotton clinic uniform shirts are supplied and embroidered by Clothing Works, part of Devon Partnership NHS Trust Vocational Rehabilitation Service, which offers vocational rehabilitation for individuals recovering from mental health issues.
All our towels, supplied by Organic Cotton, are produced from … organic cotton, because non-organic cotton production uses more chemicals than any other crop, and the organic and cold-pressed massage oils we use are from Vital Touch, in Totnes.
Our adopted charity
We are proud to be associated with Stallcombe House, a residential community for adults with learning disabilities. It provides a happy and safe work place with a holistic and organic approach to personal health and the living environment, and sells both its organic produce and its art and craft to the general public. Our aim is encourage our patients and clients to join us in supporting this wonderful charity – look out for events and promotions.
Welcome to Henry Tang
Another massage therapist has joined the team. Henry Tang has a number of specialisms, including pregnancy massage, sports massage and cranio-sacral therapy.
We have made some changes to our class timetable. In particular, Vinyasa Flow yoga and Tai Chi times have changed, and the Monday night primary led Ashtanga yoga has been split into two classes, at 18.00 and 19.30 due to demand.
Golf TRX video
Evening and weekend appointments
Sign up for our e-newsletter!
Our e-newsletter goes out quarterly. Please sign up here and we'll make sure you don't miss a thing.
Did you know we offer tasters?
If you want to see whether a class suits you, sign up for a single taster session before you book a whole series. We want you to be happy with your choice!